If you have been fortunate enough to go to Europe in the summer you’ll be eating a lot of rocket. Especially for salads, but also on sandwiches and in pasta dishes.
It took me awhile to catch on that rocket is what we call arugula. Arugula, with its peppery bite, is one of my favorite salads greens. And now that I have re-remembered that it is AWESOME in pasta dishes I wanted to pass along a simple recipe to help you take advantage of this summer’s arugula bounty.
I cooked this the other night and it was awesome and surprisingly light.
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 small onion – chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
5 ounces arugula
1 diced tomato
1/4 cup chopped basil
- Brown sausage and set aside
- Brown onion and garlic in olive oil, about 7 minutes
- Add broth, arugula and sausage and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4 minutes
- Add tomato, basil and salt/pepper to taste and cook for another 2 minutes – until heated thoroughly
- Toss with cooked pasta and serve with grated parmesan cheese on the side